Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 25/11/14 03:26, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 10:52 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
<snipped>

>>> Do you expect customers to build .deb files for every piece of
>>> software they create?
>>
>> No, I expect the admin to 'try' and do that (e.g. checkinstall) or
>> install the upstream package to the appropriate place where it *will*
>> withstand upgrade. But not everyone follows BP (e.g. ITIL, PCI, and
>> whatever relevant guidelines apply to their use-case). I don't know what
>> your use-case is...
>>

> These are system admins who have either started with Unix in the 1980's,
> or people who learned from those sysadmins.  Back then you did put stuff
> in /bin and/or /sbin, for instance.  And the company is not changing.

Good luck with that (whoever you really are). The triumph of optimism
over experience will no doubt be one hell of a party. Shame I'll likely
not have an invite.
Historically "Overcome (difficulties) and Adapt (to change)" works for
survivors.

>>> It doesn't happen - and is not going to happen.  It's much faster
>>
>> Convenience is the antipathy of security? (security also mean reliability).
>>

> It is reliable.

Imagine that I used a time machine to make the same point previously
(whoever you really are).

> And has been for many years.  That's what testing is
> all about.

Apropos of what? You (whoever you are) shouldn't be running Testing if
you want stability (Stable). I'm unable to conceive of how any minimally
qualified "Veteran UNIX Administrator" doesn't "get that" (though
admittedly I have been accused of lacking imagination).

Please stop shifting goal posts - you'll not only hurt your back but
also blow your cover.

> And even if they did create .deb files for everything, that would not
> negate the need for testing.

Agreed - I'm glad you (who ever you are) have finally grasped some of
the basics of the "Debian Way", and also, basic "change control". My
only question is - what is your point? (aside from argument for the sake
of argument).

I am pleased that some to what I've said earlier has helped your
understanding - it somewhat compensates for my time.

<snipped>

Yours in Debian solidarity.