forks, derivatives, other distros - what are you thinking/doing

Specifically addressed to those of you who are responding to systemd, etc., by considering: - finding ways to make it easier to install/configure Debian without (or with minimal) systemd dependencies (certainly not in PID1)
- migrating to another distro or platform
- forking, deriving, or otherwise building a version of Debian that avoids systemd dependencies (or at least systemd in PID1 by default)
- developing a new distro entirely
[If you're happy with systemd, and not considering a change - please stay out of this discussion. If you object to the very nature of the discussion, hit your delete key and kill file this thread now.]

Rather than have this topic keep showing up in various threads, with various uninformative names, what say I just pose the question directly.

If you're unhappy with systemd (and it's associated ecosystem), and/or with the directions that it's taking Debian (and/or large portions of the Linux ecosystem):
1. What are your issues, reasons for doing so - general and/or specific?
2. What are you considering, evaluating, or otherwise thinking about?
3. What other options/initiatives are you aware of that you've discarded or otherwise are not considering, and why?

To start, I'll answer these myself:

Re. 1:
- I'm specifically concerned about the impacts of upgrading to Jessie, in terms of having to re-wire collections of packages, configuration, initialization scripts, etc. that are supporting several production systems. All reports I've seen suggest that I'll end up with servers out of commission for a while, and more than a few sleepless nights. I simply don't have the time available to fix stuff that isn't broken. - I have a general concern about systemd as an init system - I'm uncomfortable with having it manage dependencies among the initialization of inter-twined services. (Possibly as a result of several sleepless nights caused by udev doing the wrong thing, or at least something unexpected.) - On a more general note, I have serious concerns about the monolithic nature of the systemd ecosystem (the term "hairball comes to mind"), the diversion from well established design philosophies ("The UNIX way" for want of a better term), and what seems to be a focus on desktops at the expense of servers. - I also have some serious concerns about the the motivations, approaches, and work quality of the primary developers behind the systemd ecosystem - concerns shared by no less than Linux Torvalds. - I've been becoming more troubled by the nature of decision making in the Debian community and recent directions in overall philosophy.

Re: 2:
- I've been looking most seriously at sticking with Wheezy as long as possible, and hoping things will settle out in a favorable way, though I'm less and less comfortable that things will do so. - Gentoo and Funtoo are the obvious places to migrate to - but compiling everything from source is such a pain. Since I'm basically running a limited number of services, LFS + some rundeck scripts to install directly from upstream, might be the most direct way to manage our boxes. I'm not completely convinced that a distro adds that much value for our purposes. - I really like apt- as a packaging system; it all just works - so a Debian fork or derivative is attractive; but I'm not sure how much I can bring to the table to make it happen (all my coding experience is in languages other than C, and I'm a bit rusty at that - systems architecture, sys admin, infrastructure, documentation - that I can contributed, but you don't want me coding) -- so, in this regard I'd be interested in supporting/contributing to an effort, but somebody else has to be the next Ian Murdock or Daniel Robbins).
- I'm starting to keep my eye on the GNU crowd, and GUIX
- BSD has always been attractive as a stable server platform - lack of Xen support has been the killer for me - the Open Solaris, now illumos world seems to be where a lot of the action is, in terms of real innovation (SmartOS seems very attractive) - again, lack of Xen support, and lack of anything like DRBD holds things up -- I'm seriously looking at was to achieve high-availability failover without having to migrate to a SAN (mirroring mail ques and such, with DRBD, just works so nicely) - for some of our future development work, which involves protocol stacks - I'm seriously looking at Erlang-on-Xen, and avoiding *nix entirely. Unikernals really do look like the future.

Re: 3:
- OpenSUSE is attractive as a server-oriented distro, and they are at least making attempts to dis-aggregate the systemd hairball (e.g., they're not shipping journald as default) - but... systemd in PID1 and no real alternatives is a show-stopper. - All the distros that are desktop oriented (which seems to be the majority these days). - In general, distros with packaging systems other than apt-, unless they offer a clear win re. systemd-avoidance and a server-side orientation. Other than as noted above, I haven't seen any of interest.

Ok... who else is out there?  What are you thinking/doing?

Miles Fidelman

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra