Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 24/11/14 13:20, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 8:42 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 11/23/2014 12:17 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>  That is the huge majority of Debian users.
>>> Some will get a rude surprise when they upgrade and things don't work as
>>> expected.

Apropos of what? That "surprise" from unexpected results through failure
to read release notes (adequately prepare) is no "surprise". It's always
been the case - and ever will be.

>> Like what?? I first installed systemd back when it was announced. I have
>> yet to have a single problem with it.
>>

> What about all of those people with custom software running which relies
> on sysv init for starting?

They should continue using sysv, don't you think?

It's illogical to upgrade and not expect change - even when electing (as
Debian allows) to retain the same init system.

I'll be upgrading to Jessie on my main workstation and retaining systemv
- but before that I will:-
;expect change
;read the release notes
;read authoritative posts to Debian User
;plan for the worst case scenarios
;carefully weight up the possible benefits against the possible losses

I expect to get from the exercise what I put into it - and I am only
*certain* that I won't know the results until I've completed the
exercise as I lack psychic abilities (or the psychosis that is mistaken
for them) or the concrete facts from which to accurately deduct the
outcome in my specific instance and particular "fit-for-purpose".

<snipped>

> Yes, and while the Linux community continues, Debian will lose a lot of
> dedicated users due to this decision.  Possibly another fork, or
> possibly another distro.  But Debian will lose users.

1. At best that's pure speculation. With all due respect to Gypsy Rose
Lee (who is really just a naughty boy), some of us "engineer types"
place little stock in soothsaying.

2. It's false logic to conclude *only* losses from change (and
duplicitous to deny that systemd is your only choice) - it overlooks the
possibility that the additional *choice* of systemd will attract more
users (and more instances - you do know that many "administrators"
manage large numbers of instances, right?). There is no evidence to show
that other distros and projects that adopted systemd as the *only*
choice lost users - quite the reverse.

> Sure, people who only run software in .deb packages won't be hit as
> hard.

At all. And then only if *they* don't elect to stay with sysv.

 But that is definitely not the entire Debian user base.

Those that deploy customisations in the "Debian Way" should file bug
reports if those customisations are not supported *if* they change init
systems.
Upgrades have *always* supported customisations done the "Debian Way" -
and I have every confidence they will continue to do so

> Jerry

Kind regards

--
"The pure and simple truth is the truth is rarely pure and never simple"