Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 24/11/14 16:30, The Wanderer wrote:
I do not have links to specific messages, since I don't habitually work
with or enjoy browsing through Web archives of mailing lists, and since
I've never understood (or even understood how to make practical use of)
the "message links" - looking outwardly similar to complicated E-mail
addresses - which people sometimes use to identify a particular E-mail
message.

Those "message links" use the Message-ID header, which is supposed to contain a globally unique identifier which can be used to unambiguously refer to the message in question, without worrying about different archives using different sequence numbers etc.

Mail user agents should provide some means of viewing the Message-ID field of individual messages, and should also provide a means of searching locally archived mail for a specific Message-ID.

The Debian mail archive also has a by-Message-ID search facility available at https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/

I presume that you will be able to find the thread in your own
local archive of recent messages from debian-devel.

I wouldn't make that presumption myself, because I wouldn't expect others to keep a local archive of debian-devel given that I don't do so myself.