Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 11/24/2014 10:52 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 25/11/14 01:57, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>>> Alien, checkinstall, and equivs come to mind.
>
> Agreed (also fs guidelines)
>

>>> Then again, Debian has, to date, been pretty friendly to the
>>> basic: download to /usr/local/src; unzip; untar ./configure; make;
>>> make install
>
> and "checkinstall"
>>>

>> Do you expect customers to build .deb files for every piece of
>> software they create?
>
> No, I expect the admin to 'try' and do that (e.g. checkinstall) or
> install the upstream package to the appropriate place where it *will*
> withstand upgrade. But not everyone follows BP (e.g. ITIL, PCI, and
> whatever relevant guidelines apply to their use-case). I don't know what
> your use-case is...

These are system admins who have either started with Unix in the 1980's,
or people who learned from those sysadmins.  Back then you did put stuff
in /bin and/or /sbin, for instance.  And the company is not changing.

>> It doesn't happen - and is not going to happen.  It's much faster
>
> Convenience is the antipathy of security? (security also mean reliability).

It is reliable.  And has been for many years.  That's what testing is
all about.

And even if they did create .deb files for everything, that would not
negate the need for testing.

>> to just copy the files to the appropriate directories.  And since
>> they have complete control over the code,
>
> Complete control over the code? Are you sure you mean what you wrote? If
> so don't conflate "complete control over the code" with "no control over
> whether the code will continue to function" - as it would contradict
> your previous complaints.

Yes, complete control.  This is code they have written themselves and/or
contracted out.  They have complete control over the code.  When there
is an upgrade to their code, they know about it and install it.

And when there is an upgrade to the underlying OS and/or tools, there is
also extensive testing to see that the code will continue to work. If it
doesn't, either the code changes or the upgrade is cancelled and a new
solution is looked for.

Most of the time it's only a matter of recompiling the code (new libs,
etc.).  But there is much more concern with them now.

Jerry