Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 11/23/2014 8:42 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 12:17 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>  That is the huge majority of Debian users.
>> Some will get a rude surprise when they upgrade and things don't work as
>> expected.
>
> Like what?? I first installed systemd back when it was announced. I have
> yet to have a single problem with it.

What about all of those people with custom software running which relies
on sysv init for starting?  There are a lot of those systems out there -
and every one of them will need work to conform to systemd.  Many of
those users will find it less time consuming and costly to change to
another distro.  It can be very expensive to bring someone up to speed
on the systemd, then change and test all of their custom software (or
pay a consultant to do it for you).

>> Many will be able to fix those problems - but at a cost of time and
>> manpower.  Others will have neither the time nor the money to fix the
>> problems, and still others will not have the technical expertise to do
>> so.
>
> And yet the Linux community continues to lurch from pillar to post, as
> always, surviving by our collective wits. That is our strength. That
> part you just don't seem to appreciate, that nothing is ever static and
> that change that is inherent within our little meritocracy and is our
> greatness.

Yes, and while the Linux community continues, Debian will lose a lot of
dedicated users due to this decision.  Possibly another fork, or
possibly another distro.  But Debian will lose users.

Sure, people who only run software in .deb packages won't be hit as
hard.  But that is definitely not the entire Debian user base.

Jerry