Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

On 25/11/14 00:53, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 at 02:56 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> What about all of those people with custom software running
>>> which relies on sysv init for starting?
>>
>> They should continue using sysv, don't you think?
>>
>> It's illogical to upgrade and not expect change - even when
>> electing (as Debian allows) to retain the same init system.
>
> It's illogical to upgrade and not expect *improvement*,

Good luck with that (expecting experience to triumph over optimism
might be difficult to reconcile with so many posts from those opposed
to a new default init).
I'd recommend weighting the outcomes before embarking on an adventure
with expectations. e.g. I admin systems that still run old-stable
because the "advantages" of moving to Wheezy do not provide a
compelling argument to do so. YMMV. Everyone has an opinion, no one
"owns" facts.

<snipped>

> That depends on what you (or they) count as a "hit".

And whether the batter is swinging a fickle stick?

> They will certainly

hopefully, be doing a "little" research before banging the enter key...
Please note that dist-upgrade requires more action on the part of the
user than just that.

<snipped>

>> Those that deploy customisations in the "Debian Way" should file
>> bug reports if those customisations are not supported *if* they
>> change init systems. Upgrades have *always* supported
>> customisations done the "Debian Way" - and I have every
>> confidence they will continue to do so
>
> Is this impacted in any way by the discussion recently on (I
> think) debian-devel about things under /etc which are now symlinks
> to configuration files (some of them I think systemd-related) under
> /lib or /usr/lib, which latter will be overwritten on upgrade even
> if local modifications have been made?

It's late, I'm tired, I cannot parse that. Perhaps if you replace "I
thing" with "I know" e.g. a reference, preferably to something
relevant to when Jessie becomes stable, I'll endeavour to answer that
question - until then it's (unintentionally?) a little too "Glenn
Beck/Duane Gish".

> At a glance, it certainly looks to me as if "the Debian Way" of
> customizing things may now have changed at least somewhat

What were you "glancing" at? (it would be helpful so I can respond to
your question - assuming you are asking a non-rhetorical question).

<snipped>

Kind regards