Re: Headless server just got suspended by updating systemd

On 25/11/14 01:03, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 at 02:59 AM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:58:46PM -0800, Matt Ventura wrote:
>>
>>> I think the bug here IMO is that a system simply shouldn't *do*
>>>  things in general without me telling it to. If I close the lid
>>> of my laptop, unless I have told it to suspend when I do so,
>>> then it shouldn't suspend. I should be telling my machine to do
>>> the things I want it to do, not telling it to not do the things
>>> I don't want it to do.
>>
>> That's not the precedent set in Debian for some time now. The
>> approach we take is "sensible defaults", and suspend on lid close
>> (at least whilst on battery power) is a sensible default.
>
> I seem to recall a discussion some years ago (I think on
> debian-devel) where this question came up, and I do not recall the
> discussion having settled out with the conclusion you have stated.

Please be less vague - if you don't "recall" do the research instead
of expecting others to do it for you. No offense intended - we all
have "don't recall" days.

> My strongest memory of that discussion is someone expressing
> incomprehension at the idea of why someone might possibly want a
> laptop to suspend when closing the lid, and of writing a post
> explaining one possible reason why (involving parallelism with
> "wake up on lid open").
>
> Personally, I suspect that the only reason "suspend on lid close"
> is thought of as a sensible default is because so many other
> (non-*nix) systems already do it,

Or, perhaps a general rule for default settings - "safest/do no harm"?
[just a wild guess]
(i.e. laptops run on batteries  - that default doesn't apply if
"laptop-detect" is not installed)

> not because of anything inherent to the behavior or to lid-close
> themselves.

Kind regards