Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community

Bret Busby wrote:
On 16/09/2014, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
Bret Busby wrote:

Please remember, by virtue of its name, the mailing list appears to be
a list for Debian users - for everyday, common, layman type users,
like me, rather than people schooled in obscure concepts; users who
may be seeking advice and assistance with day to day, layman type
operations, hopefully getting constructive advice to help solve our
problems, rather than stepping into a snake pit.

Ummm.... Debian has long been a distribution of choice for more
knowledgeable users, including many of us who use Debian to host servers
and support software/system development.

Maybe you consider yourself a "layman type user" - that certainly does
not apply to many folks here.

Layman or not, a major purpose of this list is to support the spread of
knowledge from those with more of it, to those with less of it.

If you want a dumbed down forum, for those who wish to remain ignorant,
perhaps you should find another list (or pay geek squad for tech support).

Miles Fidelman

Ah, so you are determining that the purpose of this list, is not to
provide support to Debian users, but rather, to engage in arguments
about particular components of the operating system?

I merely quote the definition of this list from https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/
"Help and discussion among users of Debian"

As with any mailing list, only some threads, and some messages withing threads are of interest or use to any individual. Stop whining about the stuff that you don't find relevant and learn to use your delete key.
Oh, and, one thing that drew me to using Debian ( I had previously
used Red Hat - I think it was about version 4), about twenty (?) years
ago (when it was version 3.1, I think, and, stable), was the ease of
finding and installing available packages, and, updating the system,
as shown to me, by a local Linux guru.

And, I switched completely to Debian, when Red Hat changed to become
like Microsoft, at about Red Hat 6, when it went commercial, with no
support and not even providing system requirements.

So, then why is it your not one of those complaining about the systemd and the Red Hat ization (to coin a phrase) of Debian?

So, perhaps, we could have a Debian support list, for providing
assistance to Debian users, without all the gratuitous arguing?

I don't see you bowing out of the gratuitous arguing.
Miles Fidelman