Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community

On 16/09/2014, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:
>

>> Please remember, by virtue of its name, the mailing list appears to be
>> a list for Debian users - for everyday, common, layman type users,
>> like me, rather than people schooled in obscure concepts; users who
>> may be seeking advice and assistance with day to day, layman type
>> operations, hopefully getting constructive advice to help solve our
>> problems, rather than stepping into a snake pit.
>>

> Ummm.... Debian has long been a distribution of choice for more
> knowledgeable users, including many of us who use Debian to host servers
> and support software/system development.
>
> Maybe you consider yourself a "layman type user" - that certainly does
> not apply to many folks here.
>
> Layman or not, a major purpose of this list is to support the spread of
> knowledge from those with more of it, to those with less of it.
>
> If you want a dumbed down forum, for those who wish to remain ignorant,
> perhaps you should find another list (or pay geek squad for tech support).
>
> Miles Fidelman

Ah, so you are determining that the purpose of this list, is not to
provide support to Debian users, but rather, to engage in arguments
about particular components of the operating system?

Surely, that is more of a thing fdpor a developers list, rather than
depriving users of support without the additional anguish of
persistent arguments.

Perhaps, a moderated list, for providing support for users, would be
useful, so that we can gain assistance when needed, and, enhance our
knowledge and skills, without having to be exposed to ongoing
gratuitous arguments.

Oh, and, one thing that drew me to using Debian ( I had previously
used Red Hat - I think it was about version 4), about twenty (?) years
ago (when it was version 3.1, I think, and, stable), was the ease of
finding and installing available packages, and, updating the system,
as shown to me, by a local Linux guru.

And, I switched completely to Debian, when Red Hat changed to become
like Microsoft, at about Red Hat 6, when it went commercial, with no
support and not even providing system requirements.

So, perhaps, we could have a Debian support list, for providing
assistance to Debian users, without all the gratuitous arguing?

Given the topic of the thread, includes the word "purism", a list for
only support for Debian users, would be useful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."