Faking it with skype

Hello.

With the recently posted fix for the Microsoft attempt to close down
skype; the fix involving the use of a hex editor, to cause faking the
skype version number, to pretend to be 4.3 (I think it is that version
number that is needed), I am wondering whether anyone has successfully
attempted to do that to skype version 2.2.

I have no experience with editing hexes, and so would prefer to know
whether it has been successfully done, for skype 2.2, to hopefully
avoid wreaking havoc on my system.

I prefer that I do not do any damage to my skype installation, in case
sometime, Microsoft develops a conscience, and again allows access to
skype without discrimination based on version number.

I have skype 2.2 installed on Debian 6 LTS.

Thank you in anticipation

--
Bret Busby
Armadale