Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community

On 15/09/2014, Bartosz Olender <bartek.olender@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Plan 9 is considered a "spiritual successor" to UNIX with it's
> principles taken to the extreme. But it never took off, it's still
> researched on but as I see it, besides researching how far we can push
> this UNIX concept, I don't think we will see a practical use for it.

"Plan 9" ?

Oh, right.

At
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space
is the apparent explanation of "plan 9;

"
Plan 9 from Outer Space
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the 1959 film. For the video game of the same
name, see Plan 9 from Outer Space (video game).

Plan 9 from Outer Space (originally titled Grave Robbers from Outer
Space, or simply known as Plan 9) is a 1959 American science fiction
thriller film written and directed by Ed Wood and released by
Distributors Corporation of America (as Valiant Pictures). The film
stars Gregory Walcott, Mona McKinnon, Tor Johnson and Maila "Vampira"
Nurmi. The film bills Bela Lugosi posthumously as a star, although
silent footage of the actor had been shot by Wood for another,
unfinished project just before Lugosi's death in 1956.
The plot of the film involves extraterrestrial beings who are seeking
to stop humanity from creating a doomsday weapon that would destroy
the universe. In the course of doing so, the aliens implement "Plan
9." It's a scheme to resurrect the Earth's dead as what modern
audiences would call zombies (but called "ghouls" in the film itself)
causing chaos in order to get the planet's attention.
For years, the film played on television in relative obscurity until
1980, when authors Michael Medved and Harry Medved dubbed Plan 9 from
Outer Space the "worst movie ever made". Wood was posthumously awarded
the Medveds' Golden Turkey Award as the worst director ever.
"

Note: it does say that the full title was abbreviated to "Plan 9"

So, "Plan 9" is something to do with zombie processes and their
revival, so as to create disorder?

I assume that is the reason for the citation of "Plan 9", in the
original message in the thread?

Please remember, by virtue of its name, the mailing list appears to be
a list for Debian users - for everyday, common, layman type users,
like me, rather than people schooled in obscure concepts; users who
may be seeking advice and assistance with day to day, layman type
operations, hopefully getting constructive advice to help solve our
problems, rather than stepping into a snake pit.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."