Re: Looking for interactive programming with simple graphics like old CoCo BASIC or turbo pascal

Hello Joel,

Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, what I'm looking for is something that will allow him to loop
> through the equations and watch the results. Numbers are easy, of
> course. Perl (his only language so far) gets us that far.
>
> He enjoyed playing with the graphical  equation solver on the old Mac.
> Maybe it spoiled him.  But he would get a lot more motivated, I think,
> if he could plot the numbers, watch the equation step through and plot
> the numbers in 2D on a window on the screen like you could do with the
> old BASIC+graphics commands or Turbo Pascal.

If you are only interested in plotting equations etc., maybe having a
look at gnuplot, which has dedicated Python bindings in Debian, would
be sensible.

Of course, gnuplot is no complete graphical environment, but if I
understood your problem correctly, it should be the easiest solution
available.

If you decide to spend some money, I’d like to suggest Mathematica,
which has a very rich feature set and a nice programming language.
Maple also is quite nice, but IMHO lacks some of Mathematica’s
features.

Best regards,

Claudius
--