Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:38:08 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:33:00 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Then keep it, that's up to you. You asked for a feature that was not
>> available for your device and I tried to help you to diagnose a
>> configuration problem (that lastly it turned out it was not).
>>

> Why we should consider it a non-available feature when it works under
> Windows? I know it's not an "intelligent" printer, but isn't it the job
> of the device driver to take care of those issues? If HP are actively
> involved in it???

HP manufactures many type of printer devices: PCL based, Postscript based
and low-end devices mainly for windows. You bought the latter which is
linux featured lacking, bad luck.

HP provides support and bug management via webpage:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

(...)

> I would have thought HP if they were involved in the development of the
> HPLIP drivers would have fixed a simple issue like that on old or new
> printers particularly as they support the device 100% under Windows.

Maybe is just they cannot add that feature for linux unless they re-
design from scratch the printer. Many of those low-end hardware based
devices impede that possibility :-?

> I am not saying that they're not doing a good job, it's just strange
> that they have neglected to include an important series of low-end MF
> printers which a lot of us use at homes.

Ask them for that. They will tell you whether tecnically possible or just
a market strategy.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón