Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:17:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:09:05 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:02:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> I would say that is not a driver's fault but a printer design
>>> "feature". Take it as it is. Cheap devices are marketed mostly for
>>> Windows platform (i.e., win-modems that need a windows driver to be
>>> properly detected and configured, fake-raid controllers, etc...).
>>>
>>> As I said you before, our HP laserjet colour printer (PostScript
>>> based) do have that option you are looking for. I'd say those enhanced
>>> features come with the hardware you are buying... and the money you
>>> spend on it
>>>

>> I just followed up before I read your message and actually the answer
>> to your question is YES, the device does support multiple cartridges,
>
> Of course... it's a colour printer.
>
>> in Windows the printer use both cartridges to print a page which has
>> multi-colours and it is clear that the device does support the feature.
>>
>> Under Linux the black text is blurred and not so black when printing
>> pages in colour mode.
>
> Because you bought an entry-level device that was designed for windows
> and it's not fully supported under linux. Live with that, at least you
> can print :-P
>
>> It's a real nuisance and pain to see colour wasted and the output so
>> bad compared to when using the black cartridge.
>
> Next time, read the reviews or ask in the forums *before buying* a
> printer. Today is a *must* to be informed on the linux support for any
> piece of hardware, mostly for scanning devices (printers are getting
> better support those days).
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I think that was harsh of you. I have this printer for a long time > 4 -
5 years and it has served me very well. We've been using this printer and
it has given no issues in every other way.

I've seen this problem on Linux for a long long time and every time I
assumed it was something I did wrong, but apparently the bug has existed
for a long time (and I do consider it a bug, not a "feature")

Unfortunately until HP really takes Linux seriously I doubt whether it
will have the desired impact.

And no, I prefer not spending on devices just to get it working under
Linux. I print occasionally anyway and it doesn't justify the extra cost
either. A PSC was good enough for us then and it's good enough now.

I really thought that the cartridge issue would be resolved by now.
Apologies for my responses, but I have got really really frustrated these
days with the mediocre level of support given by hardware manufacturers
for Linux.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)