Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:02:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:12:36 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:07:15 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:44:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)

> (...)
>
>> I'd like to add the note/clarification that the exact issue I'm having
>> is NOT that the printer uses colour cartridge when instructed to do
>> "Normal Greyscale" printing -- that works as expected and is good
>> enough for printing pure B&W or greyscale documents. It's that the
>> printer DOES not use black cartridge when instructed to print a
>> document in colour that has both colour graphics/text and black. Most
>> colour documents are of that nature, so using full colour for even
>> black results in poor print quality not to mention wastage of colour
>> ink for black (when the result is better with a black cartridge)
>>
>> I was mentioning that in Windows, the HP driver handles this
>> automatically and doesn't need any special options, but in Linux,
>> printing mixed B&W/colour documents always takes longer and the results
>> are poorer because the black cartridge is never used.
>>
>> I am surprised that Linux HP drivers haven't fixed the issue at all
>> over the years.
>
> I would say that is not a driver's fault but a printer design "feature".
> Take it as it is. Cheap devices are marketed mostly for Windows platform
> (i.e., win-modems that need a windows driver to be properly detected and
> configured, fake-raid controllers, etc...).
>
> As I said you before, our HP laserjet colour printer (PostScript based)
> do have that option you are looking for. I'd say those enhanced features
> come with the hardware you are buying... and the money you spend on it
>>:-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I just followed up before I read your message and actually the answer to
your question is YES, the device does support multiple cartridges, in
Windows the printer use both cartridges to print a page which has multi-
colours and it is clear that the device does support the feature.

Under Linux the black text is blurred and not so black when printing
pages in colour mode.

It's a real nuisance and pain to see colour wasted and the output so bad
compared to when using the black cartridge.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)