Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:12:36 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:07:15 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:44:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Yours seems to be an entry-level all-in-one device, and it's possible
>>> that the linux printer driver cannot handle all of the advanced
>>> options.

(...)

> I'd like to add the note/clarification that the exact issue I'm having
> is NOT that the printer uses colour cartridge when instructed to do
> "Normal Greyscale" printing -- that works as expected and is good enough
> for printing pure B&W or greyscale documents. It's that the printer DOES
> not use black cartridge when instructed to print a document in colour
> that has both colour graphics/text and black. Most colour documents are
> of that nature, so using full colour for even black results in poor
> print quality not to mention wastage of colour ink for black (when the
> result is better with a black cartridge)
>
> I was mentioning that in Windows, the HP driver handles this
> automatically and doesn't need any special options, but in Linux,
> printing mixed B&W/colour documents always takes longer and the results
> are poorer because the black cartridge is never used.
>
> I am surprised that Linux HP drivers haven't fixed the issue at all over
> the years.

I would say that is not a driver's fault but a printer design "feature".
Take it as it is. Cheap devices are marketed mostly for Windows platform
(i.e., win-modems that need a windows driver to be properly detected and
configured, fake-raid controllers, etc...).

As I said you before, our HP laserjet colour printer (PostScript based)
do have that option you are looking for. I'd say those enhanced features
come with the hardware you are buying... and the money you spend on it
>:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón