Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:07:15 +0000, Harishankar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:44:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 03:08:03 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:15:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> (...)

>>> I am sure that it was a bug because I cannot afford to waste multi
>>> colour cartridge to generate the black text on pages where I need
>>> colour output also. It does work that way in Windows (maybe because
>>> the driver is more "intelligent"). I'm sure the HP PSC series of
>>> Multi-function printers fall into the category of "cheap" and
>>> "unintelligent" (that is the printer won't do the grunt work of
>>> choosing which cartridge to use for what type of output).
>>>
>>> All I need is black text and greyscale graphics to print with black
>>> ink cartridge and colour text and output to print with the colour
>>> cartridge.
>>>
>>> Hopefully somebody might find a solution to this. The question is how
>>> long will it take for the driver developers to fix it?
>>
>> Maybe you are requesting too much for your device :-)
>>
>> Your printer support status is listed here:
>>
>> ***
>> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/psc/psc_1310_series.html
>>
>> - Support level: Partial (See note11.) - Unsupported feature(s):
>> Reduced print quality and/or print speed (See note12.) ***
>>
>> And if you read on (note 12), you find this other KB:
>>
>> ***
>> http://hplipopensource.com/node/313
>>
>> LIDIL-specific issues
>>
>> Most Linux customers may find LIDIL printers to provide very good cost/
>> value since these printers work well with HPLIP for the majority of
>> print jobs.  However, for Linux customers who require the highest level
>> of print speed and quality (matching the published specs for these
>> LIDIL devices) these LIDIL printers matched with HPLIP may not meet
>> their needs.  We recommend those customers purchase a PCL or
>> PostScript-based inkjet or LaserJet product.
>> ***
>>
>> Yours seems to be an entry-level all-in-one device, and it's possible
>> that the linux printer driver cannot handle all of the advanced
>> options.
>>
>> Just note you are talking about two issues, here:
>>
>> 1/ Choosing "black-only" or "gray-scale" uses color cartridge. IMO,
>> that should not happen and could be indeed a bug of the printer
>> printer, although HP can say it's "a feature" :-/
>
> Actually this works fine for me. Choosing greyscale option prints using
> the black cartridge, but using the colour cartridge does not use print
> black using the black cartridge.
>

>> 2/ Having an option to selective control when to use the color
>> cartridge or pure black for printing fine quality photos. That is a
>> feature that I've seen available only in medium/high level printers.
>>
>> Greetings,
>
> Actually this works in windows. It prints colour using colour cartridge
> and black text using black cartridge in the same print job.

> [...]

I'd like to add the note/clarification that the exact issue I'm having is
NOT that the printer uses colour cartridge when instructed to do "Normal
Greyscale" printing -- that works as expected and is good enough for
printing pure B&W or greyscale documents. It's that the printer DOES not
use black cartridge when instructed to print a document in colour that
has both colour graphics/text and black. Most colour documents are of
that nature, so using full colour for even black results in poor print
quality not to mention wastage of colour ink for black (when the result
is better with a black cartridge)

I was mentioning that in Windows, the HP driver handles this
automatically and doesn't need any special options, but in Linux,
printing mixed B&W/colour documents always takes longer and the results
are poorer because the black cartridge is never used.

I am surprised that Linux HP drivers haven't fixed the issue at all over
the years.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)