Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:33:00 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:22:14 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:17:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> Next time, read the reviews or ask in the forums *before buying* a
>>> printer. Today is a *must* to be informed on the linux support for any
>>> piece of hardware, mostly for scanning devices (printers are getting
>>> better support those days).
>>>

>> I think that was harsh of you. I have this printer for a long time > 4
>> - 5 years and it has served me very well. We've been using this printer
>> and it has given no issues in every other way.
>
> We all (users) have -or have had- some piece of hardware that it's not
> working with Linux. That is the crude fact, nothing strange here.
>
>> I've seen this problem on Linux for a long long time and every time I
>> assumed it was something I did wrong, but apparently the bug has
>> existed for a long time (and I do consider it a bug, not a "feature")
>
> You (or me) can call it as we want. It's HP who has the power to correct
> it or adding that option.
>
>> Unfortunately until HP really takes Linux seriously I doubt whether it
>> will have the desired impact.
>
> So add yourself to the bug you found or open a new one.
>
>> And no, I prefer not spending on devices just to get it working under
>> Linux. I print occasionally anyway and it doesn't justify the extra
>> cost either. A PSC was good enough for us then and it's good enough
>> now.
>
> Then keep it, that's up to you. You asked for a feature that was not
> available for your device and I tried to help you to diagnose a
> configuration problem (that lastly it turned out it was not).

Why we should consider it a non-available feature when it works under
Windows? I know it's not an "intelligent" printer, but isn't it the job
of the device driver to take care of those issues? If HP are actively
involved in it???

>> I really thought that the cartridge issue would be resolved by now.
>> Apologies for my responses, but I have got really really frustrated
>> these days with the mediocre level of support given by hardware
>> manufacturers for Linux.
>
> Yes, we all suffer for that. But HP is making a good job with HPLIP
> just... just that not all devices have the same good support for the
> drivers. I suppose older MFP lack some fetaures while newer ones, don't.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I would have thought HP if they were involved in the development of the
HPLIP drivers would have fixed a simple issue like that on old or new
printers particularly as they support the device 100% under Windows. I am
not saying that they're not doing a good job, it's just strange that they
have neglected to include an important series of low-end MF printers
which a lot of us use at homes.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)