Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:44:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 03:08:03 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:15:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> And those options are not available for your printer, neither using
>>> the old PPD nor the lastest :-(
>>>

>> I am sure that it was a bug because I cannot afford to waste multi
>> colour cartridge to generate the black text on pages where I need
>> colour output also. It does work that way in Windows (maybe because the
>> driver is more "intelligent"). I'm sure the HP PSC series of
>> Multi-function printers fall into the category of "cheap" and
>> "unintelligent" (that is the printer won't do the grunt work of
>> choosing which cartridge to use for what type of output).
>>
>> All I need is black text and greyscale graphics to print with black ink
>> cartridge and colour text and output to print with the colour
>> cartridge.
>>
>> Hopefully somebody might find a solution to this. The question is how
>> long will it take for the driver developers to fix it?
>
> Maybe you are requesting too much for your device :-)
>
> Your printer support status is listed here:
>
> ***
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/psc/psc_1310_series.html
>
> - Support level: Partial (See note11.) - Unsupported feature(s): Reduced
> print quality and/or print speed (See note12.)
> ***
>
> And if you read on (note 12), you find this other KB:
>
> ***
> http://hplipopensource.com/node/313
>
> LIDIL-specific issues
>
> Most Linux customers may find LIDIL printers to provide very good cost/
> value since these printers work well with HPLIP for the majority of
> print jobs.  However, for Linux customers who require the highest level
> of print speed and quality (matching the published specs for these LIDIL
> devices) these LIDIL printers matched with HPLIP may not meet their
> needs.  We recommend those customers purchase a PCL or PostScript-based
> inkjet or LaserJet product.
> ***
>
> Yours seems to be an entry-level all-in-one device, and it's possible
> that the linux printer driver cannot handle all of the advanced options.
>
> Just note you are talking about two issues, here:
>
> 1/ Choosing "black-only" or "gray-scale" uses color cartridge. IMO, that
> should not happen and could be indeed a bug of the printer printer,
> although HP can say it's "a feature" :-/

Actually this works fine for me. Choosing greyscale option prints using
the black cartridge, but using the colour cartridge does not use print
black using the black cartridge.

> 2/ Having an option to selective control when to use the color cartridge
> or pure black for printing fine quality photos. That is a feature that
> I've seen available only in medium/high level printers.
>
> Greetings,

Actually this works in windows. It prints colour using colour cartridge
and black text using black cartridge in the same print job.

I think the Windows driver provided by HP officially actually does the
job within the driver to instruct the printer. It might be a firmware
issue but whatever it is, I am sure it is possible on my printer to use
both cartridges in one print job.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)