Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:16:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:29:45 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> I'm using HPLIP /CUPS with the hpcups driver to print using my hp psc
>> 1315 printer.
>>
>> Has anybody had the issue that during a print job it is impossible to
>> ask the printer to use both the B&W and colour cartridge at the same
>> time? I mean, if you select Normal Color it prints even black text
>> using the colour cartridge (giving a non-sharp brownish grey effect)
>> and when I select Normal Greyscale it is impossible to print in colour?
>
> (...)
>
> I have that options for my HP colour laserjet printer (using a PPD file,
> CUPS PS driver, not HPLIP):
>
> ***
> Text Neutral Grays: 4 colour / [x] black only Graphics Neutral Grays: 4
> colour / [x] black only Photographs Neutral Grays: [x] 4 colour / black
> only ***
>
> Those options are pretty close to its counterpart windows driver and can
> be changed at real time for each print.
>
>> I had the same problem using HPIJS drivers as well but the HPCUPS
>> haven't solved the problem either?
>>
>> Has anybody ever successfully printed a multi-coloured document with
>> both the B&W and colour cartridge used where black is printed using the
>> B&W cartridge and other colours printed using the colour cartridge like
>> in Windows?
>>
>> This seems closely related to this bug report:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+sour ... bug/235399
>>
>> Seems nobody at HP have resolved the issue related to Linux printing or
>> am I doing something wrong?
>
> Have you tried by downloading the latest PPD file for your printer
> ("hpcups 3.10.6.15" or "hpijs 3.10.6.15") and adding a new printer
> instance with CUPS in the old fashioned way (I mean, without using
> HPLIP, just the provided PPD file)? :-?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks for the response. Actually I have chosen the default driver
provided by the hpcups package in Debian. Should I download a separate PPD
from another website and try using that instead?

I configured the printer using the CUPS interface only. Should I
uninstall HPLIP?

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://literaryforums.org)