Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video

On 3/3/08, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:27:15PM +1100, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> was heard to say:
>
> > On 3/2/08, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > You can try to connect via dhcp by running 'dhclient' as root. That
>  > >  might give some clues. If it works just revert your config. Sometimes
>  > >  the 'allow-hotplug' directive doesn't work correctly, you can try 'auto'
>  > >  instead.
>  >
>  > I changed to "audo", it sitll does not work. But, if I start dhclient
>  > manually, it works fine. I checked ps, there was a dhclient3 running.
>  > Could that cause the problem? How can I config /etc/init.d to make the
>  > dhclient running?
>

>   There are a number of different dhcp clients in Debian; dhclient3,
>  dhclient, and pump are three that come to mind immediately.
>  Theoretically, all of them should always work, but I've sometimes seen
>  cases where one or another would fail in a particular network.

I believe that the dhclient3 on my machine cuased the problem. I need
to change it to dhclient.

>   ifupdown will pick a DHCP client using a built-in order of preference
>  (see interfaces(5)).  You can override this by adding a "client" line to
>  the interface configuration: for instance, it sounds like "client dhclient"
>  might help your situation.

Which file in Debian I should change for the reference? I checked
/etc/network/interfaces it has only following lines:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Where should I add client dhclient?

Thank you.