Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video

On 3/2/08, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 04:42:29PM +1100, hce wrote:
>
>  > All right, it's done. The next problem is that eth0 is not assigned IP
>  > address, it has  following statement in the /etc/network/interfaces. I
>  > can see eth0 without IP address. That machine was running on FC5
>  > before and has no problem to network connection.
>  >
>  > allow-hotplug eth1
>
> ------------------^^^ Typo?
>
>  > iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
>  You didn't say, so I'm guessing you are not using dhcp. If this is the
>  case then you will have to put the following in /e/n/interfaces (replace
>  the numbers with the real ones):
>
>  ---[ /etc/network/interfaces ]---
>
>  allow-hotplug eth0
>  iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.123.123
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 192.168.123.1
>         dns-nameservers 123.123.123.123 123.123.123.124

Sorry for not being clear. I did mean to use dhcp. The network server
is working fine that the previouse FC5 had no problem to run the IF by
dhcp. Not sure why doesn't work in Debian. Anyway, I manually created
an IP address for for the time being, it is connected to the network
now, but I still want the debian box connect to the network by dhcp.

If I want to another linux box connect to the Debian box using ssh,
should I install and start sshd in the debian box? I see the ssh has
already in the debian box, but I guess it is the ssh client, not sshd.
If I need to enable sshd in the debian box, how can I do it?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim