Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video

On 3/2/08, Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/03/2008, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Well, I expected the "use as" can be selected as a root partition, but
>  >  that page only display following menu:
>  >  use as:
>  >
>  >  EXT 3
>  >  EXT2
>  >  Reiser FS
>  >  JFS
>  >  XFS
>  >  FAT16
>  >  FAT32
>  >  Swap area
>  >  Physical volume for encryption
>  >  Physical volume for LVM
>  >  Physical volume for RAID
>  >  do not use the partition
>  >
>  >  There is no "root partition", I actuall selected it as ext3, then it
>  >  came above error.
>  >
>  >  Now, if I select mount point to "/", it also came another error.
>  >
>  >  I actually don't want to do any partition change, the #5 has already
>  >  partitioned and formated as ext3. But I could not go over that
>  >  partition page. How can I skip partition page and just install the
>  >  Debian directly to hda5?
>

> Read this part of the install guide on using the installer and partitioning.
>  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition
>
>  Even if you don't want to change the other partitions you will need to
>  format and set up your hda5 again and tell it to mount hda5 as / this
>  will set up hda5 in /etc/fstab as your / and leave all the other
>  partitions alone (you will have to manually add them to /etc/fstab in
>  you want access to them) otherwise specify a mount point for them and
>  select them as "do not format".
>
>  The Debian installer is very flexible, you will get it do what you
>  want, it's just a matter of you finding the options in the installer.

All right, it's done. The next problem is that eth0 is not assigned IP
address, it has  following statement in the /etc/network/interfaces. I
can see eth0 without IP address. That machine was running on FC5
before and has no problem to network connection.

allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

Thanks.

Kind Regards,