Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:27:15PM +1100, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On 3/2/08, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You can try to connect via dhcp by running 'dhclient' as root. That
> >  might give some clues. If it works just revert your config. Sometimes
> >  the 'allow-hotplug' directive doesn't work correctly, you can try 'auto'
> >  instead.
>
> I changed to "audo", it sitll does not work. But, if I start dhclient
> manually, it works fine. I checked ps, there was a dhclient3 running.
> Could that cause the problem? How can I config /etc/init.d to make the
> dhclient running?

  There are a number of different dhcp clients in Debian; dhclient3,
dhclient, and pump are three that come to mind immediately.
Theoretically, all of them should always work, but I've sometimes seen
cases where one or another would fail in a particular network.

  ifupdown will pick a DHCP client using a built-in order of preference
(see interfaces(5)).  You can override this by adding a "client" line to
the interface configuration: for instance, it sounds like "client dhclient"
might help your situation.

  Daniel