Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 06:47:07PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > *I* don't.  I can't speak for others, but I accept the Bible as God's
> > Holy Word.  Allo of it, even the parts I don't like.
>
>     So, again I ask on this Sabbath, how many have you killed as commanded by
> your god?

Please read my other posts.  I have already refuted this twice.

> > You mean the founding fathers who quoted scripture in their speeches?
>
>     Yup.  Because look at the time; that was how things were written.  The
> concepts we have now did not exist then.  But if you look further in their
> papers you'll see they were more Deists (God exists but does not partake in
> this world) than the Theists of Christians today (God exists and takes an
> active, personal role in our lives).

Care to provide some citations?

> > Which creator do you think they happened to be referring to?  The Big
> > Band?  Hydrogen and Helium?
>
>     Just because they referenced a creator doesn't mean they were creating a
> Christian state.

Well, they clearly weren't founding a secular state, or they would not
have mentioned a creator.  The point is that they recognized that human
rights came from something greater than humans.  That greater thing is
God.

> > By the way, do you have anything to support the claims the founders were
> > not Christian?  While we're at it, how about one for the 90%+ athiest
> > scientists?
>
>     Uh, common knowledge outside of your blinders?  Try Googling "Founding
> Fathers Christian" and see how many of the top hits point out, time and again,
> that they were not founding a Christian state.  Many wrote repeatedly against
> Christianity, especially as a state.

Again, citations?  I know that they wrote against the state becoming
involved in particular denominations or churches, but I have studied
quite a bit of American History and have not seen anything by the
founding fathers that could characterized as being against Christianity.

BTW, what Google are you using?  My Google shows on the first page, 7
pages documenting why/how the founding fathers *were* and only three
trying to refute.

>     As for the 90%+ Atheist cite like I said to Ron it comes from Richard
> Dawkins, either from his web site or his latest book, _The God Delusion_.
>
> > Really?  I haven't seen the valid evidence yet.  I've seen lots of
> > rantings and ravings and lots of unsubstantiated claims by lots of
> > people, but no evidence yet.
>
>     As I said, you see it, you just dismiss it.  It's ok, it's what I expect
> from a religious person.

And as I said, the "evidence" I have seen can hardly be called evidence.
It's OK, it's what I expect from an athiest.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez