Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 03:08:23PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > He
> > claims that religious people are stupid and basically use ancient texts
> > are a crutch.
>
>     Well, don't you?  I mean you cherry pick the nice bits and reject the nasty.

*I* don't.  I can't speak for others, but I accept the Bible as God's
Holy Word.  Allo of it, even the parts I don't like.

> > Nevermind that the Chrisitan nation of the USA (it was
> > founded as a Christian nation by Christians) has developed far more
> > scientific advancement than the oh-so-enlightened athiest USSR ever
> > could have hoped.
>
>     Nevermind that the founding fathers were not Christian, did not form a
> Christian state and that 90%+ of all scientists in the US are Atheist.
> Furthermore it ignores the fact that the USSR wasn't horrible because of it's
> secularism but because of it's totalitarianism and lack of rationality on the
> other end of the spectrum.

You mean the founding fathers who quoted scripture in their speeches?
The founding fathers who wrote the Declaration of Independence to read:

   We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
   equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain
   unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the
   pursuit of Happiness.

Which creator do you think they happened to be referring to?  The Big
Band?  Hydrogen and Helium?

By the way, do you have anything to support the claims the founders were
not Christian?  While we're at it, how about one for the 90%+ athiest
scientists?

> > I was just asking that he substantiate his claim.  I am not trying to
> > start a religious argument.  If he has valid evidence, then I will
> > concede the point.  Though, I doubt any such evidence exists.
>
>     It does exist, you're just of the habit of rejecting it.

Really?  I haven't seen the valid evidence yet.  I've seen lots of
rantings and ravings and lots of unsubstantiated claims by lots of
people, but no evidence yet.

Regards,

-Roberto

--