Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 05:16:39PM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 05:10:12PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> > > That's something of a non-sequiter.  You seem to be implying that
> > > atheists pretend they are in control of the world.  I would say it's
> > > just the reverse:  it's the theists who think they are in control, as in
> > > "have all the answers."  They look to one of several ancient texts,
> > > purported to be the words of either a deity or prophet, and decide these
> > > things are true, ignoring all evidence to the contrary as well as the
> > > internal contradictions of those texts.
> > >
> > If you meet a Christian (I can't speak for other faiths) who thinks he
> > or she is in control, then that individual is wrong.  The Bible
> > explicitly states on numerous occasions that God is ultimately in
> > control.  Of everything.
> >
> > Out of curiousity, could you provide evidence of something that
> > contradicts anything that is written in the Bible?
> >

> I know that this list has been going off-topic a lot lately, but could
> we not get into a religious argument? Politics is far enough, but
> arguing over religion is just petty.
>
> Everyone has their own belief, and let it be that way. Arguing over it
> isn't going to help anyone, it's just going to create grudges in the
> community between users.

Sorry.  He made a number of unsubstianted claims, including that
athiests are somehow superior because they are all enlightened.  He
claims that religious people are stupid and basically use ancient texts
are a crutch.  Nevermind that the Chrisitan nation of the USA (it was
founded as a Christian nation by Christians) has developed far more
scientific advancement than the oh-so-enlightened athiest USSR ever
could have hoped.  Even if you restrict the comparison to the years
during which the USSR was in existence, I am willing to bet that
scientific advance in the US oustripped the USSR by an order of
magnitude.

I was just asking that he substantiate his claim.  I am not trying to
start a religious argument.  If he has valid evidence, then I will
concede the point.  Though, I doubt any such evidence exists.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez