Re: passwd in chroot / You may not view or modify password information for USER

On 2/25/07, Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 10:36:16PM -0500, Nelson Castillo wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Andy Smith <andy@lug.org.uk> wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 04:35:18PM -0500, Nelson Castillo wrote:
> >> CHROOT> passwd userx
> >> passwd: You may not view or modify password information for userx.
> >
> >Er, you ARE doing that as root, right?
>
> Yes :) The only special thing is that I'm inside a chroot. The "host"
> is a  Fedora C5 server running Linux 2.6.16.  And that I dist-upgraded from
> sarge to etch.

Sorry, had to ask :)

That is very odd.  Could you strace the passwd command inside the
chroot and post a link to the results? (-o to send output to a file)

The partition in which the chroot is is not mounted with the nodev option.
It's mounted with ext3,defaults, just as / is.

This is the strace I got:

http://wiki.superservicios.gov.co:81/~n/strace.txt

Thanks.

--