Re: Recent spam increase

On 26-okt-2006, at 18:31, Tim Post wrote:

Yes, I get several a day myself. The actual "text" of the message is
often actually an image, while the body of the message is randomly
selected sentences or words from a collection which would make a
Bayesian filter delete most of my e-mail.

Same thing. Some as simple as many uuencoded images, some all text with
enough of it to throw off the filters, some a mix .. but all of it is
getting through.

I delete them by hand, to prevent messing up my other filter which
is working reasonably well to filter out the "you have won a lottery".
It appears that I win ten or twenty lotteries in the Netherlands or
the UK every week, even though I don't enter.

Strict reverse dns checking basically guarantees you'll never get email
from a domain hosted on a shared server (typical web host setup).

I've been looking into the possibility of trying to "read" those images
similar to how robot myspace bots read turing numbers... but wonder
about the practicality of such an endeavor.

I noticed the text in the images usually isn't 'disgu1zEd' as it would
be in plain text. Such a method would help cut down on many types of
spam.

Not my field of expertise though.. anyone care to comment or know of
anything available now that does this?

If you're looking for a way to get rid of picture spam, try the SARE rules (http://www.rulesemporium.com/) for spamassassin. I use these rulesets and get very high scores on the picture spam I get. Simply add these rules to your setup using sa-update & the openprotect channel (see http://saupdates.openprotect.com/). It doesn't take the cpu cost of the fuzzyocr plugin.

Peter