Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

At 10:05 AM 5/6/2004, Daniel B. wrote:
Marty Landman wrote:

Please. Ain't is the contraction of "are not".

That is obviously wrong.  If it were _the_ contraction of
"are not", then "aren't" couldn't also be a contraction of
"are not."

Perhaps you mean to argue that it is _a_ contraction of "are
not."

Daniel, thanks for pointing this out. On second thought, Woody Guthrie sang "I ain't gonna be treated this a way" so ain't must be the contraction of "am not".

Marty

p.s. maybe one of the Brits on the list can chime in, I've noticed folks say ain't in the UK and I assume then it got into the language from there rather than here i.e. UK not US

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml