Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 12:18:16AM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:57:39AM +0100, Graham wrote:
> > No, the ex-GB billion is a billion.  The US billion is really a thousand million (and is misnamed)
>
> It depends on whether you view the series as geometric or exponential.

Just realized our way isn't strictly geometric either: it is geometric
by tens up to one thousand, and then by thousands therafter.  But you
can argue that is sound because we write digits by ones up to ten and
then by tens therafter.

If you use the british definition, then 1,222,333,444,555 would be
(let's see if I get it right):

One billion, two hundred twenty two thousand million, three hundred
thirty three million, four hundred forty four thousand, five hundred
fifty-five.

Is that something a Brit would find eloquent?  Our way is a little bit
more metric.