Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

Daniel B. wrote:

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

My two cents: two hundred *and* twenty would = 200.20 or so I have been taught by my 9th grade math teacher. The *and* indicates a decimal.

Are you sure you heard your math teacher correctly?  If so, she or
he was definitely wrong.

Consider "one hundred and twenty five dollars": that certainly
means $125 and not $100.25.

It is technically (mathematically speaking) "one hundred twenty five dollars".

Consider "101 Dalmations":  I've usually heard that said as
"one hundred and one dalmations" and that certainly doesn't
mean 100.1 of them.

As I said, in common usage it is ignored and understood what you mean. It's like "never end a sentence in a prepresitional phrase". I don't unless I have to. ;)

> I[n] common usage it does not.

Correct.

Daniel

--