Re: system reboots before booting

David Fokkema said:
>> What I don't understand is why it worked last night and then today it
>> was
>> broken. I wasn't messing around with kernel installation stuff or
>> anything
>> unusual. It was a clean shutdown, so I doubt there are the usual bad
>> blocks from when the system crashes.
>
> No... You didn't even do an upgrade?

No upgrades--in fact i haven't apt-ed in weeks (literally).

>> > Basically, I'm puzzled and lost, :-( You need a guru...
>>
>> I guess I could just re-install the base system and start over... :(
>
> Debian shouldn't need that... There are Great Mysteries in life which
> can fascinate me for days, weeks, months or even years... Wicked errors
> like these ones not being among them.

I haven't got that kind of time though. ;)

> Just some desperate and incoherent thoughts...
>         - Are you able to boot from cd or floppy and specify
>           root=/dev/hda1 in lilo?

It's already set to that.

>         - After you ran lilo and it spat some random warnings, you did
>           try to reboot? What did it gave you? Still the fourties?

I always reboot after changing lilo and running it again...otherwise how
would I know if my changes had worked? I'm not getting "errors" I'm
getting "warnings"...

>         - What rescue media did you use?

Single-CD install CD.

>         - Did something do peculiar things to your bios?

No. In fact as part of the troubleshooting I tried returning all settings
to the factory default. I had to update the order of install so that CDROM
was first, but i tested pure factory defaults first.

>         - What _did_ you do between starting up and shutting down your
>           machine that might (although unlikely) be relevant? Tasks done
>           as root, ...

umm, halted the computer? Seriously. The only thing I've done as root in
the last three weeks is install the Morphon XML and CSS editors (.bin file
that has an installer downloaded from their site); halt the computer; and
edit the fstab a few times to get some Joliet CDs working. Yesterday I
installed the Morphon editor--that's it. In fact /root/.bash_history
confirms that's all I've done. As sudo I've made a few changes to my
apache configuration file and restarted the server; deleted some
Firebird/Mozilla files from /tmp; and that's pretty much it.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
Xtrinsic