Re: system reboots before booting

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

David Fokkema said:
Just some desperate and incoherent thoughts...
       - Are you able to boot from cd or floppy and specify
         root=/dev/hda1 in lilo?

It's already set to that.
You probably want it to be "root=/dev/hda" before you chroot and run lilo.

       - What _did_ you do between starting up and shutting down your
         machine that might (although unlikely) be relevant? Tasks done
         as root, ...

umm, halted the computer? Seriously. The only thing I've done as root in
the last three weeks is install the Morphon XML and CSS editors (.bin file
that has an installer downloaded from their site); halt the computer; and
edit the fstab a few times to get some Joliet CDs working. Yesterday I
installed the Morphon editor--that's it. In fact /root/.bash_history
confirms that's all I've done. As sudo I've made a few changes to my
apache configuration file and restarted the server; deleted some
Firebird/Mozilla files from /tmp; and that's pretty much it.

I'm wondering if you might not have some physical damage in the boot sector of your drive. That's not real likely, but it's a possibility.

--
Kent