Re: weather and boats (even more OT) (was [OT: Elfquest])

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:05:33PM -0400, Earl F Hampton wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 August 2003 15:43, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> > I, too, love a good wind (or just a nice breeze) and hate stale air.
> > (that's probably one of the reasons I rather dislike air conditioning,
> > the other being that most establishments set the temperature to that
> > reminisicent of winter while the weather outside is pleasant)
> >

> Well I'll agree with the desire for a fresh breeze though I always thought it
> meant "Just started or building". A good example might be the on shore that
> builds each afternoon. I thought fresh then was meaning new

Nope. Scale of Beaufort (US, there might be differences with UK/AU,
don't know):

        1 Light air
        2 Light breeze
        3 Gentle breeze
        4 Moderate breeze
        5 Fresh breeze
        6 Strong breeze
        7 Moderate gale
        8 Fresh gale
        9 Strong gale
       10 Whole gale
       11 Storm
       12 Hurricane

> > I enjoy sailing and have a small boat which I need to fix[1] sometime
> > soon so I can take my friends out on it :-).  Did you know that a hull
> > made out of styrofoam (no fiberglass coating) can last a good two
> > decades or so[2]?  Kayaking is fun too, especially if the wind isn't
> > so cooperative.
>
> I'm another one though I think I was bitten a bit harder by the sailing bug.

Same here. Couldn't resist any longer to finally reply to this thread
again, ;-)

> > [1] The rudder was attached by wood screws screwed straight into the
> >     styrofoam of the hull.  The last time I had the boat on the water
> >     the screws pulled out of the holes.  I need to reattach the rudder
> >     in a more durable manner.
> >
> > [2] The boat was probably a grocery store display advertising
> >     Coca-Cola because the sail has an old Coke ad slogan on it and the
> >     hull was never coated with fiberglass.  I bought the boat used
> >     sometime around 9 years ago (for a whopping $28 USD, though for a
> >     kid in middle-school it was a decent amount).  The previous owner
> >     obtained it second-hand and had it for ~8 years.  He didn't know
> >     any of the boat's prior history.  Not a bad deal at all!  :-D
>
> Yep that's the story all tell when owned by a boat. I have 2. One a sunfish
> the other I call my yachtlet (26 foot Grampian). Working on them is constant.

Looks nice! Wish I had a boat... In a way, I do. I work weekends at a
sailing school teaching people how to sail, teaching new instructors how
to teach and teaching instructors how to teach new instructors how to
teach people, ;-) Got it?

Anyway, it's only ten minutes by bike and I can take any boat I'd like
out for an evening. The only requirement is that one is available.
Evenings and weekdays apart from holidays, I can choose, ;-) However,
no small yachts to take out for a weekend, only 6.5 meter open boats
(Fly Tour, Randmeer) and fast boats like lasers. Right now I don't have
much time, but when I do, I _really_ enjoy myself! I'm not going to
describe the rush when you're taking a laser in a strong breeze broad
reach, feeling her lift out from the water catching up with some waves
while the only parts of your body inside the boat are your legs, the
rest is hanging 10cm above the water to keep the boat upright and under
control. Occassionally you touch a wave and water rushes up from you
side and shoulder into your face, ;-) <sigh>

http://www.zeilschool-aalsmeer.nl/fotoshow/Album03/jvn042.htm

This is one of our boats on a nice day. The boat itself is actually
hidden between two wave tops. It's not sinking, ;-) Believe me, this
feels GREAT!

Unfortunately, no-one can be told what sailing is.
You have to see it for yourself
        --- Morpheus

> Has anyone found a use for debian while sailing?

There was a thread on attaching a GPS receiver to a laptop some time
ago? Didn't read it, though. Otherwise, my suggestion is to leave debian
at home and enjoy the weather, :-)

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!