Re: system reboots before booting

Kent West said:
> Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
>>boot. The system reboots right after the "If you'd like to enter the BIOS
>>press F12." I've tried running a rescue disk and I can get the /
>> partition to mount
>
> Odd. It sounds like maybe your boot sector has a problem. I'd try
> booting into rescue mode like you can, and then rerunning
> lilo/grub/whatever.

Ok, did that. Now I'm getting: L 40 40 40 40 (etc). The error code means
"seek failure" according to some emails I found (via google). I installed
lilo on the MBR (hda not hda1) and have tried rebooting with both my
previous lilo.conf file and the default conf file. Both give the same
error. I'm going to try installing lilo on hda1 now instead of the MBR
(which really doesn't make sense, but I'm mildly desperate--yet still in
vacation mode).

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin