Re: system reboots before booting

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:55:40PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> David Fokkema said:
> > Hmmm... this looks good as far as I can see... What I don't understand
> > is that lilo complained that the map file and the boot sector were on
> > different drives. I _never_ got that error. However, it might mean
> > nothing...
>
> What I don't understand is why it worked last night and then today it was
> broken. I wasn't messing around with kernel installation stuff or anything
> unusual. It was a clean shutdown, so I doubt there are the usual bad
> blocks from when the system crashes.

No... You didn't even do an upgrade?

> > I can only think of one thing now, but I don't see how that would lead
> > to your lilo not booting at all...
> > If you are using a kernel from debian, it might be that you need to
> > specify an initrd image like this:
> > initrd=/initrd.img
>
> I don't have an initrd.img in the / or /etc folder. Not sure where else to
> look for it (it's a custom kernel with ACPI, ALSA and nvidia support
> compiled using the Debian Way).

Then you don't have an initrd kernel and you don't need that line.

> > Basically, I'm puzzled and lost, :-( You need a guru...
>
> I guess I could just re-install the base system and start over... :(

Debian shouldn't need that... There are Great Mysteries in life which
can fascinate me for days, weeks, months or even years... Wicked errors
like these ones not being among them.

Just some desperate and incoherent thoughts...
        - Are you able to boot from cd or floppy and specify
          root=/dev/hda1 in lilo?
        - After you ran lilo and it spat some random warnings, you did
          try to reboot? What did it gave you? Still the fourties?
        - What rescue media did you use?
        - Did something do peculiar things to your bios?
        - What _did_ you do between starting up and shutting down your
          machine that might (although unlikely) be relevant? Tasks done
          as root, ...

Good luck,

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!