Re: system reboots before booting

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:48:17PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> David Fokkema said:
> >> What I don't understand is why it worked last night and then today it
> >> was
> >> broken. I wasn't messing around with kernel installation stuff or
> >> anything
> >> unusual. It was a clean shutdown, so I doubt there are the usual bad
> >> blocks from when the system crashes.
> >
> > No... You didn't even do an upgrade?
>
> No upgrades--in fact i haven't apt-ed in weeks (literally).

> >> I guess I could just re-install the base system and start over... :(
> >
> > Debian shouldn't need that... There are Great Mysteries in life which
> > can fascinate me for days, weeks, months or even years... Wicked errors
> > like these ones not being among them.
>
> I haven't got that kind of time though. ;)

I travel to work by bike. Takes me 45-60 minutes, twice a day, ;-)

> > Just some desperate and incoherent thoughts...
> >         - Are you able to boot from cd or floppy and specify
> >           root=/dev/hda1 in lilo?
>
> It's already set to that.

Well, I mean during you're rescue boot. Insert the cd/floppy, and run
linux root=/dev/hda1 from the lilo command line. IIRC, you mentioned
that you booted your rescue thing and then _later_ mounted /dev/hda1.
I'm curious what happens if you try to boot from /dev/hda1 directly
using your rescue kernel.

> >         - After you ran lilo and it spat some random warnings, you did
> >           try to reboot? What did it gave you? Still the fourties?
>
> I always reboot after changing lilo and running it again...otherwise how
> would I know if my changes had worked? I'm not getting "errors" I'm
> getting "warnings"...

I reread your posts. You already mentioned it, sorry.

> >         - What rescue media did you use?
>
> Single-CD install CD.
>
> >         - Did something do peculiar things to your bios?
>
> No. In fact as part of the troubleshooting I tried returning all settings
> to the factory default. I had to update the order of install so that CDROM
> was first, but i tested pure factory defaults first.
>
> >         - What _did_ you do between starting up and shutting down your
> >           machine that might (although unlikely) be relevant? Tasks done
> >           as root, ...
>
> umm, halted the computer? Seriously. The only thing I've done as root in
> the last three weeks is install the Morphon XML and CSS editors (.bin file
> that has an installer downloaded from their site); halt the computer; and
> edit the fstab a few times to get some Joliet CDs working. Yesterday I
> installed the Morphon editor--that's it. In fact /root/.bash_history
> confirms that's all I've done. As sudo I've made a few changes to my
> apache configuration file and restarted the server; deleted some
> Firebird/Mozilla files from /tmp; and that's pretty much it.

I'm at a loss here. No suggestions any more, sorry, :-(

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!