Curious...Are most of you in tech-related careers/schooling?

All,

I am new to the Linux world and have settled on Debian as my winning
horse for learning Linux, to the best of my abilities.  The talk on
this list is a little out of my comprehension now, as I am so new,
but I am still taking general ed classes in college, and am hoping I
can survive the math classes to pursue a CS degree.  There is a
class or two on Unix essentials or Unix internals, but that is all.
Some programming, of course, is involved.

I wonder if all (or most) of you are in similar careers and that is
why you are so proficient with compiling and testing and tweaking
all of this stuff.  Or is it just a hobby that has gone on for so
long that you have advanced your knowledge of Linux/Debian to these
levels that all of you are at?

Just curious...

:o)

Scott (sidewalking)