Re: Newbie installation questions

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014, at 08:07 AM, Risto Suominen wrote:

> It's not that bad. One direction will always work. Actually I think
> that you can mount the HFS+ partition, and if journaling is used, it
> will be mounted (effectually) read only. In that case you could create
> another partition without journaling.
>
> The reason I called it risky in this case, is that, if your machine
> locks up when starting X,  the partition will not be closed properly,
> and might need some file checking. So it's probably better to use
> something else than the system partition.

I got an exchange system working by:
 In the Linux install process, splitting the main partition to give a
 1GB exchange partition at the top (it becomes /dev/sda5).
 After installing Linux, went into OSX and formatted the new partition
 (OSX sees it as disk0s5 as well as /dev/sda5) as Mac OS Extended (but
 not Journaled) using Disk Utility.
 In both systems, put a line in /etc/fstab (the format differs slightly)
 to mount the partition as '/Volumes/Exchange' , type 'hfsplus', options
 'user,auto'.
Now I can read from and write to that partition in both OSs, and if one
takes exception to it I can boot into the other and reformat that
partition.

> >  I did - but I don't know what I should be looking for apart from
> > http://www.x.org/wiki/FAQErrorMessages/#index8h2
> >
> You could send the log here. There are simple command line tools for
> sending mail. Not sure how they can handle attachments. But something
> like this could work:
>
> cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | mail -s 'Newbie installation questions'
> debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org

That's cool - I joined the Xorg list and sent the logs there. Only spam
in reply so far though.

> Before you try that... One possible reason for X problems like yours
> is KMS, Kernel Mode Setting. To disable it, you could try to create
> the file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf with following contents:
>
> options radeon modeset=0
>
> The name 'radeon' is the name of the kernel module ('lsmod') loaded
> for your graphics card. It may be something else in your case.

Thanks! I'll give that a go.
GD

                          unladen european swallow