Re: Newbie installation questions

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014, at 09:35 PM, Risto Suominen wrote:
> 2014/1/22, Geoff Down <geoffdown@fastmail.net>:
> >
> > That means I could really do with a way of transferring log files etc
> > between the Linux drive and the OSX drive. OSX can't access the Linix
> > filesystem apparently - can I make Linux access the OSX disk?
> >
> I wouldn't recommend trying that. In worst case you could make your OS
> X unbootable. Linux can read HFS, but writing seems to be too risky,
> at least if journaling is enabled.
 From the Debian PPC Install Manual:
'To share information between the Mac OS X and GNU/Linux systems, an
exchange partition is handy. HFS, HFS+ and MS-DOS FAT file systems are
supported by MacOS 9, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux. '
 I wouldn't have embarked on the project at all if I thought that I
 couldn't transfer files between the two :(

> > By ' apt-get install xorg' ? It did install (it asked for the CD to be
> > reinserted - not over the network?) but startx resulted in 'no screens
> > found' - I have to run a config tool according to the x.org wiki?
> > Complications upon complications.
> >
> I think X.org nowadays runs fine - in most cases - with default
> config. Take a look at the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

 I did - but I don't know what I should be looking for apart from
http://www.x.org/wiki/FAQErrorMessages/#index8h2
GD

                          wherever you are