Re: Newbie installation questions

2014/1/22, Geoff Down <geoffdown@fastmail.net>:

>  From the Debian PPC Install Manual:
> 'To share information between the Mac OS X and GNU/Linux systems, an
> exchange partition is handy. HFS, HFS+ and MS-DOS FAT file systems are
> supported by MacOS 9, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux. '
>  I wouldn't have embarked on the project at all if I thought that I
>  couldn't transfer files between the two :(

It's not that bad. One direction will always work. Actually I think
that you can mount the HFS+ partition, and if journaling is used, it
will be mounted (effectually) read only. In that case you could create
another partition without journaling.

The reason I called it risky in this case, is that, if your machine
locks up when starting X,  the partition will not be closed properly,
and might need some file checking. So it's probably better to use
something else than the system partition.

>  I did - but I don't know what I should be looking for apart from
> http://www.x.org/wiki/FAQErrorMessages/#index8h2

You could send the log here. There are simple command line tools for
sending mail. Not sure how they can handle attachments. But something
like this could work:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | mail -s 'Newbie installation questions'
debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org

Before you try that... One possible reason for X problems like yours
is KMS, Kernel Mode Setting. To disable it, you could try to create
the file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf with following contents:

options radeon modeset=0

The name 'radeon' is the name of the kernel module ('lsmod') loaded
for your graphics card. It may be something else in your case.

Risto