Re: Newbie installation questions

Hi JB,
Risto suggested the same thing - it worked, I was able to run the
installer all the way through.
I went for the default options on the whole, except I enabled Gnome.
When I try to boot into Linux now, I can do so at the boot: prompt
(though there seem to be two - the first seems to run the second without
any keypresses from me, the second requires I type 'Linux'). Then I get
pages of diagnostics, and shortly after 'Gnome' is mentioned a half
black, half white screen and no response from the keyboard, CTRL/ALT/DEL
etc - I have to hard power down. The text scrolls past too fast to see
exactly what stage this happens at.
Here are my partition maps:
Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/disk0'
 #:                type name       length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple          63 @ 1
 2:     Apple_Bootstrap untitled     1954 @ 64
 3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled 38250001 @ 2018     ( 18.2G)
 4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap      1759244 @ 38252019 (859.0M)
 5:          Apple_Free Extra          37 @ 40011263

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=40011300 (19.1G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/disk1'
 #:                type name                    length   base      (
 size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                       63 @ 1
 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh                   56 @ 64
 3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh                   56 @ 120
 4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh                   56 @ 176
 5:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh                   56 @ 232
 6:      Apple_FWDriver Macintosh                  512 @ 288
 7:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh                  512 @ 800
 8:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition            512 @ 1312
 9:          Apple_Free                         262144 @ 1824
 (128.0M)
10:           Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_2 156035392 @ 263968    (
74.4G)
11:          Apple_Free                             15 @ 156299360

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=156299375 (74.5G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  23 @ 64, type=0x1
2:  36 @ 120, type=0xffff
3:  21 @ 176, type=0x701
4:  34 @ 232, type=0xf8ff

Do those look sensible? I'm thinking of wiping disk0 and starting fresh
installing from CD with only the command line interface enabled.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Regards,
Geoff
PS I also get 'Disk unreadable' errors in OSX since it can't see disk0's
filesystem - but that's a minor irritation (will an /etc/fstab entry fix
that?)