Re: Newbie installation questions

2014/1/22, Geoff Down <geoffdown@fastmail.net>:

> I can now boot into the command line and login.
> Is there any way to install Gnome now in a way that allows me to debug
> any problems - starting it from the command line and being able to
> escape back into a shell perhaps?

I would first install openssh-server, to allow you to log in remotely,
in case you loose the control via the terminal, as often happens in
these cases.

Then, keep it simple and install only xorg. It can usually be started
with startx command. When it works, gnome probably will, too.

>    It did!

Great. Can you tell us, what you put in /etc/fstab?

Risto