Newbie installation questions

Hello all,
I'm new to the list and to Linux as well, please be patient if I ask
foolish questions.
 I'm trying to install DebianPowerPC_wheezy on a PowerMac G4 OSX10.4. It
 has two hard drives, so I wiped the unused one (disk0) and created an
 HFS partition (disk0s2) into which I copied  vmlinux, initrd.gz, yaboot
 and  yaboot.conf from
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-powerpc/current/images/powerpc/hd-media/
 I downloaded
 http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.3.0/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-7.3.0-powerpc-CD-1.iso
to the root directory of my OSX hard-drive (disk1s10 I think). The md5
matches that on the website.
 I rebooted the Mac into the Open Firmware prompt booted from disk0
 using 'boot hd:2,yaboot'. That works, although there is a warning about
 the filesystem being HFS rather than Apple_Bootstrap. I started the
 installer with 'install'.
 When I came to the 'scan hardware for ISO image' step, it could not
 find the ISO on disk1 (alias sdb) - I could see it was searching the
 top few directories of that volume but it didn't see the ISO.
So I burnt the ISO to a CD-ROM, and tried again. At the same step it
failed to see the ISO when scanning automatically. I went into the shell
provided and checked that there was '/dev/cdrom' listed. The output of
dmesg also listed the CD-drive. The troubleshooting tip from the manual
of checking /proc/ide/cdrom or whatever for settings involving DMA was
not possible - there is no such directory nor any file called 'settings'
under /proc.
 When I manually entered '/dev/cdrom' into the ISO search tool, it
 eventually found the ISO:
'[cdrom] /dev/cdrom (stable-7.3)'
which suggests to me that it can read the device ok. But when I
confirmed that was the ISO I want to use, it just went back to the 'ISO
not found' page.
a) What am I doing wrong please?
In a previous attempt I got the installer to see an ISO in a different
partition *on the same hard disk* (disk0) as the installer. But I
aborted that install at the partitioning stage as I assumed that the ISO
image would in fact be destroyed in the partitioning process, leaving
the installation hanging.
b) Was I right? Or can you install from an image on the same hd?

Thanks for your time,
Geoff Down

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...