Re: Newbie installation questions

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014, at 04:51 PM, Risto Suominen wrote:
> I would first install openssh-server, to allow you to log in remotely,
> in case you loose the control via the terminal, as often happens in
> these cases.
I only have the one working computer unfortunately.
That means I could really do with a way of transferring log files etc
between the Linux drive and the OSX drive. OSX can't access the Linix
filesystem apparently - can I make Linux access the OSX disk?

> Then, keep it simple and install only xorg. It can usually be started
> with startx command. When it works, gnome probably will, too.

By ' apt-get install xorg' ? It did install (it asked for the CD to be
reinserted - not over the network?) but startx resulted in 'no screens
found' - I have to run a config tool according to the x.org wiki?
Complications upon complications.

> >    It did! (stop OSX trying to mount the Linux HD)
>
> Great. Can you tell us, what you put in /etc/fstab?

Spoke too soon. It didn't.
GD