Re: Newbie installation questions

2014/1/22, Geoff Down <geoffdown@fastmail.net>:

> That means I could really do with a way of transferring log files etc
> between the Linux drive and the OSX drive. OSX can't access the Linix
> filesystem apparently - can I make Linux access the OSX disk?

I wouldn't recommend trying that. In worst case you could make your OS
X unbootable. Linux can read HFS, but writing seems to be too risky,
at least if journaling is enabled.

> By ' apt-get install xorg' ? It did install (it asked for the CD to be
> reinserted - not over the network?) but startx resulted in 'no screens
> found' - I have to run a config tool according to the x.org wiki?
> Complications upon complications.

I think X.org nowadays runs fine - in most cases - with default
config. Take a look at the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Risto