Re: HELP!! Criticle Xserver errors

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 17:05, Michel DXnzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 09:15 -0700, Adam Done wrote:

> > > Hmm. Maybe it's just a mode issue then? Is the r128 driver trying to use
> > > the same mode as the fbdev driver?
> >
> > I got the xserver to work again..
>
> With the r128 driver?

No, unfortunly.  I can only get the fbdev driver to work. :(  I have
been working on a 2.6 kernel this last week and even there I can't get
xserver to start with a ati or r128 driver. (Under 2.6 I still have not
been able to get the modules to load automaticly.  So far I  have to
goto the /lib/modules/... and insmod them right from the directory but
when I do the modules are loaded but still nothing on the xserv.  I
really hope people don't think I am incompetent LOL?)

I am really wondering if it is a hardware issue related to ati card and
the drivers together? I am going to test this on a ibm 21" monitor at
1600x1200 to see if it is the apple 22" monitor.  I will let you know
what happens with this test.

It seams like every thing tried the server just hangs.  I am thinking of
creating a new install on a test partition and just put the basic needs
for running system and the xserver and see if that works.

I know all the DRI and accelerations are installed when the xserver
starts

What I do.
1. inittab I start in run level 3
2.  I login with tty2 as root
3.  /usr/bin/X11/startx
4.  x starts a screen then just hangs

The results are the same
- when using different XF86Config-4 settings
- 2.4 or 2.6 kernel
- agpart and r128 as modules

The 2.6 kernel is working but there are just 2 issues with that.  I
don't know if I should start another thread or can I post those issues
on this thread?

> > but this does bring up a question.  Do the modes make a difference in
> > using the drivers?  I have tried this without any modes listed and had
> > xserver find a match on its own and also I put my modes into the config
> > file.  I never thought the modes made a difference.
>
> They can, of course.

Hmmmmm.

> > I looked at the prices for the RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB AGP for my box and
> > it looks like it will be a good idea to get out of the rage128 chipset.
>
> I hope you're aware that Radeon >= 9500 means no 3D support for now...

Ahhh I did not know that.  Very good to know.. Then I will look into
saving for the next model down from 9500 but this may not happen for a
while :(.