Re: HELP!! Criticle Xserver errors
- To: Michel DXnzer <email@example.com>
- Cc: debian-powerpc <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: HELP!! Criticle Xserver errors
- From: Adam Done <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:44:36 -0700
- Message-id: <1090349076.1122.21.camel@localhost>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <1090281919.29752.70.camel@localhost>
- References: <1089178307.988.20.camel@localhost> <40EB8B8E.email@example.com> <1089187560.1851.3.camel@localhost> <20040707082018.GE22013@power.luon.net> <1089219439.1116.57.camel@localhost> <20040707171613.GE16036@bogon.ms20.nix> <1089225056.1116.95.camel@localhost> <1089225771.1433.107.camel@arakis> <1089229787.1107.102.camel@localhost> <1089231795.1429.133.camel@arakis> <1089259772.1728.6.camel@localhost> <1089265230.1611.3.camel@localhost> <1089308840.1665.4.camel@arakis> <1089329147.889.9.camel@localhost> <1089376066.30104.47.camel@localhost> <1089430370.1987.12.camel@localhost> <1089659075.1026.3.camel@localhost> <1089803551.2125.13.camel@localhost> <1089808115.24624.35.camel@localhost> <1089812818.4851.53.camel@localhost> <1089883162.11239.5.camel@localhost> <1090167344.1040.44.camel@localhost> <1090281919.29752.70.camel@localhost>
On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 17:05, Michel DXnzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 09:15 -0700, Adam Done wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 02:19, Michel DXnzer wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 06:46 -0700, Adam Done wrote:
> > > >
> > > > The server starts, the Apple22" cinema display power light goes from
> > > > green to amber and then stays amber with a blank xserver screen.
> > >
> > > Hmm. Maybe it's just a mode issue then? Is the r128 driver trying to use
> > > the same mode as the fbdev driver?
> > I got the xserver to work again..
> With the r128 driver?
No, unfortunly. I can only get the fbdev driver to work. :( I have
been working on a 2.6 kernel this last week and even there I can't get
xserver to start with a ati or r128 driver. (Under 2.6 I still have not
been able to get the modules to load automaticly. So far I have to
goto the /lib/modules/... and insmod them right from the directory but
when I do the modules are loaded but still nothing on the xserv. I
really hope people don't think I am incompetent LOL?)
I am really wondering if it is a hardware issue related to ati card and
the drivers together? I am going to test this on a ibm 21" monitor at
1600x1200 to see if it is the apple 22" monitor. I will let you know
what happens with this test.
It seams like every thing tried the server just hangs. I am thinking of
creating a new install on a test partition and just put the basic needs
for running system and the xserver and see if that works.
I know all the DRI and accelerations are installed when the xserver
What I do.
1. inittab I start in run level 3
2. I login with tty2 as root
4. x starts a screen then just hangs
The results are the same
- when using different XF86Config-4 settings
- 2.4 or 2.6 kernel
- agpart and r128 as modules
The 2.6 kernel is working but there are just 2 issues with that. I
don't know if I should start another thread or can I post those issues
on this thread?
> > but this does bring up a question. Do the modes make a difference in
> > using the drivers? I have tried this without any modes listed and had
> > xserver find a match on its own and also I put my modes into the config
> > file. I never thought the modes made a difference.
> They can, of course.
> > I looked at the prices for the RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB AGP for my box and
> > it looks like it will be a good idea to get out of the rage128 chipset.
> I hope you're aware that Radeon >= 9500 means no 3D support for now...
Ahhh I did not know that. Very good to know.. Then I will look into
saving for the next model down from 9500 but this may not happen for a
> Earthling Michel Dänzer | Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
> Libre software enthusiast | http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer