Re: HELP!! Criticle Xserver errors

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 05:28, Michel DXnzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 04:12 -0700, Adam Done wrote:
> > I have been trying to get dri working on my box and really have messed
> > up the xserver.  I installed and been trying to use the dri-trunk and
> > the ati driver.  See what the screen output for using dri and trunk. NOw
> > I can't even start my xserver even with the fbdev driver.
>
> As I told you before, xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk doesn't ship the fbdev
> driver. You'd have to use XFree86.nodri-trunk or uninstall xserver-
> xfree86-dri-trunk to use it.
>
> > The ati at least starts up but hangs [...]
>
> Might be related to the DRI, try disabling it for now by commenting out
> the Load "dri" line.

> > #  lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> > r128                  100948   0
> > mga                   106020   0  (unused)
>
> BTW, the mga DRM is useless for you, you couldn't have loaded it in the
> first place with a 2.6 kernel or the DRM built from drm-trunk-module-
> src.
>
> > agpgart                18060   1
>
> AGP was traditionally unstable on r128. If the X server starts up with
> the DRI disabled, try not loading agpgart or Option "ForcePCIMode" in X.
> If that also works, you can try a 2.6 kernel or the DRM built from drm-
> trunk-module-src with AGP.

I  Tried all manor of combinations
With & without
AGP
DRI
trunk DRM (which I had installed and then tried it without)
Option "ForcePCIMode"

The results were all the same...  The server starts, the Apple22" cin
display power light goes from green to amber and then stays amber with a
blank xserver screen.

Would the 2.6 kernel work with the r128 chipset or should I just forgo
and get a newer/better graphics card.  I would like to make this one
work as much as possible and later on can spend the$$ on a new card.

> > Screen output for ati driver
>
> [...]
>
> > (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Jul 13 23:13:06 2004
>
> Excerpts from the log file would be more useful in the future.

I did include them as attachments but was not to sure if I should have
imbeded them into the mail.  But I agree on the log file.. I have been
going over it to find anything I have missed.

-adam